Judge sets $1 million bond for suspect in Smith County officer-involved shooting


The suspect involved in a recent shooting incident with a Smith County Sheriff’s deputy was booked into the Smith County Jail after being released from the hospital.

The incident occurred at approximately 12:35 a.m. Saturday, June 17, when a patrol deputy made a traffic stop on a vehicle in the 8400 block of County Road 35, also known as Lavender Road.

The Smith County Sheriff’s deputy, identified as Lauren Fite, stopped the vehicle after noticing the vehicle driving on the wrong side of the road.

After exiting the vehicle and being informed that he would be detained by Fite, the suspect, identified as Kenneth Alan Carner, of Larue, responded by turning, swinging at, and striking the officer.

Carner then attempted to run away from the scene as Fite fired a Taser twice in a short amount of time, with both fires striking the suspect, but he was able to pull the Taser barbs out and threw them down on both instances.

Afterwards, Carner continued to flee, throwing down what officials suspected to be methamphetamine, as the deputy pursued the suspect on foot. The suspect then turned and charged at the deputy, taking them both to the ground.

While on the ground, Carner attempted to take a firearm away from Fite, , but the deputy was able to turn away from the suspect, drawing the gun and firing two shots, which struck the suspect both times.

Officers from Tyler Police Department, Parks and Wildlife and Sheriff's Deputies arrived a short time later. Carner was transported to a local hospital by ambulance and was taken into surgery.

An arrest warrant issued by the 241st District Court of Judge Jack Skeen, Jr. was executed on Carner at the hospital on Friday, June 30, charging him with Aggravated Assault Against a Public Servant, which is a first degree felony.

Carner was placed under the guard by the Smith County Sheriff’s Office while in the hospital. After being discharged, he was taken to the Smith County Jail. His bond was set by Judge Skeen at $1 million.

After the incident occurred, Fite was placed on paid administrative leave pending the results of the investigation, both of which are protocols of the Smith County Sheriff’s Office when deputies are involved in a shooting incident. According to officials, Fite has returned to regular duty.

The case remains under investigation by the Texas Rangers, per Smith County Sheriff’s Office policy and procedures.


Special Sections